Rolestown National School
1st October 2018.
Welcome back to another school year, violin, choir, basketball and football are well underway and all our pupils appear to have settled in well.
I would like to take this opportunity to remind you of the following points.
- The official school day is 8:50am to 1:30pm for Junior and Senior infants and 8:50am to 2:30pm for 1st to 6th The Board of Management is not responsible for the safety of pupils or parents on school grounds outside these times. Supervision is provided from 8:40am every morning.
- For the health and safety of all pupils the playground is not available to Junior or Senior infants after 1:30pm.
- If your child needs to be collected early or arrives late, you must check in at the office with Vera. The only access to the school after 9am is via the front door.
- When a pupil has been absent, a note explaining the absence must be brought into school on return, these are required to be kept on file until the end of the school year. Please remember that – by law -children absent for 20 days or more must be reported to the National Education Officer (Tusla), we will inform you if your child exceeds 15 days.
To ensure a safe and steady flow of traffic in the morning please observe the following:
- The Bays along school road are for drop off only.
- Please proceed to the roundabout to turn.
- The disabled parking spaces are reserved for those who have an official disabled permit only.
- There is no stopping or parking in the school gateway at any time.
- Parking is not permitted on the road opposite the school – it causes obstruction and creates danger for children crossing.
- Parking is available on cemetery road.
We are delighted that Fingal County Council and Currabeg are providing us temporarily with extra parking spaces – these should be ready for us shortly.
- Children who are sick should not attend school to minimise the spread of infection – members of our school community are high risk.
- HEAD LICE – please be vigilant, check hair regularly and let us know if detected.
- We continue to promote our healthy lunches and thank you for your co-operation. NO NUTS as we have several pupils with allergies.
- Mobile phones and other electronic devices e.g. I-pods are not permitted in school. In the case of mobile phones an exemption may be made on receipt of a written request from a parent – however the phone must be kept switched off and in a schoolbag for the entire school day until they leave the premises.
- Please label all your child’s personal belongings; we have already accumulated a large quantity of sweatshirts etc.
- If your child has an allergy of any type or has a condition which requires medication then please contact the class teacher. On no account should your child bring medicine into school for self-administration.
- If you wish to speak with your child’s teacher please ring the school on 8404130 and the school secretary Vera will arrange an appointment for you.
- Please check your child’s homework diary daily as it is a valuable means of communication between teacher and parent.
- Dogs are not allowed on the school grounds at any time
- It is very important that all parents are aware of how their children are using the internet both on the home computer and on mobile devices. We strongly encourage all parents to be proactive in this area – to monitor websites visited and frequently ask about messages received and sent including via X-boxes, Playstations etc. Active parental guidance can go a long way to reducing the hurt caused by cowardly, offensive behavior.
Road safety is very important for all road users, it is vital that our children WALK along the footpaths, keep in from the kerb and only cross where and when it is safe to do so. ‘Always expect the unexpected’.
A huge thank you to the Parents Association who ran a fabulous coffee afternoon and cake sale on Friday the 28th of September. Mouthwatering arrays of goodies were available made by pupils and parents. They now invite you to send in any unwanted clothes etc. for the ‘cash for clobber’ collection.
Please view our website http://www.rolestownns.ie to see accounts and photos of recent events in school life.
Thank you to all who have paid their Annual Contribution for the 2018/2019 school year – if you have not yet had an opportunity to do so, you may drop your contribution into Vera in the school office any day or set up a direct debit to pay in installments, standing order forms are available from Vera. The Board of Management strives to provide the very best for your children but costs are always challenging.
Reminder: School closed on Friday 26th October as the school is a polling station for the Presidential Election.
If your contact details have changed e.g. phone, address or email please update your contact information by phoning the office or emailing the school firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking forward to a great year, many thanks for your continued support.
Ann Ryan, (Principal)